I normally don’t cross post on the various blogs for which I write, but every once in awhile I feel the need to do so, in order to spread a message I feel is of particular importance. The Mandate Amendment to the Constitution is one of these issues. Obamacare is bad for this country on so many levels, just one of which is it is an erosion to our First Amendment right to religious freedom, we need to stop it from happening again. The Mandate Amendment is one way to do this.
We the people, in order to form a more perfect Mandate Amendment, have continually striven to point out how the Roberts’ decision on Obamacare has set a precedent which will affect any and all groups, no matter what political stripes they have. The latest example hits two groups for the price of one those who believe in a free market and capitalism and those who believe in the free exercise of religion.
The latest victim of Obamacare will be the Christian owned company, Hobby Lobby, which faces fines of $1.3 million per day if they do not offer their employees health care coverage which includes coverage for abortion inducing drugs and mandated by Obamacare. The owners of Hobby Lobby are devout Christians, who believe this coverage would violate their religious beliefs. Unlike many Catholic organizations:
The Green family, owners of the Oklahoma-based retail chain Hobby Lobby, does not object to providing cont
- raceptives through the company’s health insurance plan. But the company has filed a lawsuit against the Affordable Healthcare Act’s mandate that abortifacient drugs also be funded, on the grounds that involvement in abortions is a violation of the Greens’ religious beliefs. _ National Catholic Register
It should be obvious how this affects Hobby Lobby from a business stand point. As we have pointed out in the past, several things will more than likely happen if Hobby Lobby is forced to pay these fines.
- Prices will have to rise to pay for this fine.
- Lay-offs or hours of employees will need to occur for the company to remain profitable.Growth of the company will be curtailed.
- Competitors who are not fined will have an unfair competitive advantage over Hobby Lobby.
- Hobby Lobby could be forced out of business.
On the religious freedom side of things, the effects might not be so obvious.
- The government is now allowed to dictate what you must “believe” through mandates. In this case, even though you don’t believe in abortion, you are forced to provide for them through your mandated coverage.
- Because this coverage is mandated, it erodes the teachings of religious organizations by diluting their message. One could say, such and such an organization must not really believe that abortion or contraception is wrong if they are in fact providing coverage for such.
- Once this mandate is accepted, a precedent has been set where the government can impose similar sanction on those of other religious organizations, for example, Kosher Delis must provide pulled pork sandwiches to their customers, just in case someone wants one, even though this is clearly contrary to their beliefs.
The Obamacare mandates are wrong on so many levels and will touch any and all groups in so many negative ways, this is why we need to stop it from happening again. We may not be able to stop Obamacare before it gains hold, but we can certainly stop other like legislation from occurring.
This is what the Mandate Amendment is all about. Like our FaceBook page, tell all your friends, even your enemies, this is something that must be stopped.